Ronda Rousey is an American mixed martial artist, judoka, and professional wrestler who has a net worth of $13 million as of 2023. She is best known for her time in the UFC, where she was the first woman to sign with the promotion and became the first female UFC champion.
Rousey has had a highly successful career, dominating women’s MMA for years and more recently transitioning to professional wrestling in WWE. She has earned her wealth through fight purses, pay-per-view payouts, endorsements, business ventures, and wrestling contracts.
How Did Ronda Rousey Earn Her Money and Wealth?
Ronda Rousey’s net worth of $13 million has been accumulated through various means over her career in MMA and wrestling. Here is a breakdown of her main sources of income and wealth:
- UFC Fight Earnings– During her peak years in UFC from 2012 to 2016, Rousey earned millions through fight purses and pay-per-view payouts. Her biggest UFC payout was $3 million for UFC 207. In total, she earned close to $7 million from UFC fight earnings.
- WWE Contracts– Rousey signed with WWE in 2018 on a full-time contract reportedly worth over $1.5 million per year. She likely renegotiated for more money after her initial contract. WWE has been a major source of income in recent years.
- Endorsements & Sponsorships– At the height of her MMA career, Rousey earned millions from major endorsement deals with brands like Reebok, Monster Energy, Buffalo, Metro PCS, and Carl’s Jr. This remains an income stream today.
- Movie & TV Roles– Rousey has acted in movies like The Expendables 3, Furious 7, and Mile 22. She has also appeared on shows like 9-1-1 and Total Divas. These roles provide additional income.
- Business Ventures– Rousey opened a restaurant called Ronda’s Rowdy Eatery in California in 2020. She also operates a website selling her clothing line. These business interests contribute to her wealth.
Overall, the combination of fight purses, endorsements, wrestling income, acting roles, and business ventures have allowed Ronda Rousey to build a net worth of $13 million. Her career earnings to date likely top $20 million total.
Ronda Rousey’s Career Beginnings
Ronda Rousey was born in California in 1987. She had an early passion for judo and became the first American woman to win an Olympic medal in the sport, taking bronze at the 2008 Beijing Games.
After the Olympics, Rousey pursued a career in mixed martial arts. She made her professional MMA debut in 2011 and won her first fight in just 25 seconds via armbar submission. This would become a trademark of her MMA career.
Rousey continued winning and caught the attention of the UFC. In November 2012, she was signed as the promotion’s first female fighter.
Rise to Prominence in UFC
When Ronda Rousey made her UFC debut in February 2013, women’s MMA was still in its infancy in the promotion. Rousey quickly changed that.
Within a year, she had won and defended the UFC women’s bantamweight title multiple times, all via stunning first-round armbar finishes.
Rousey’s success made her a superstar that transcended the sport. She became a household name appearing in major commercials, TV shows, and movies.
Between 2012 to 2015, Rousey was undefeated in MMA, dominating all of her opponents and rarely even making it out of the first round. She won 12 straight fights to begin her career.
Her meteoric rise drew media attention and pay-per-view buys that were unheard of for women’s MMA. Rousey headlined three of the five highest-selling UFC pay-per-views of all time. Her earnings and net worth skyrocketed during these years.
After over three years of sheer dominance, Ronda Rousey finally tasted defeat when she was knocked out by Holly Holm at UFC 193 in November 2015.
Rousey took a year off before returning at UFC 207 to challenge Amanda Nunes for the women’s bantamweight title she once held. Unfortunately, Rousey was unable to regain her form and suffered a TKO loss in just 48 seconds.
These back-to-back losses tarnished Rousey’s once unbeatable aura. She never fought in MMA again after the defeat to Nunes. Years of extreme training and media scrutiny had taken their toll.
Move to WWE
After two demoralizing losses and a year away from fighting, Ronda Rousey began to transition to a new career in professional wrestling. She made cameo appearances at WWE events in 2017 and 2018 to set up her move to the promotion.
In January 2018, Rousey made her official WWE debut at the Royal Rumble. She went on to perform regularly with the company and developed into a polished entertainer and wrestler.
Rousey won the RAW Women’s Championship title in August 2018 and held it until WrestleMania 35 in April 2019. She took another hiatus after this but returned in 2022.
WWE provided Rousey a chance to reinvent herself after her MMA fall. She earned a solid paycheck from the promotion during her first run there and likely negotiated an even more lucrative contract to return.
Ronda Rousey’s Net Worth Milestones
Ronda Rousey’s net worth has grown significantly throughout her dual career in MMA and pro wrestling. Here are some of the key milestones:
- Earned at least $1 million for the first time in 2013.
- Net worth reached $3 million in 2014.
- Crossed the $6 million mark in 2015 at the height of her UFC career.
- Net worth grew to $9 million range in 2016/2017.
- Surpassed $10 million in 2018 after signing with WWE.
- Now has a net worth of approximately $13 million as of 2023.
Rousey’s career earnings to date likely exceed $20 million, putting her among the highest-paid female athletes ever. Her net worth should continue rising thanks to WWE and business income.
Ronda Rousey’s Net Worth Compared to Other Athletes
- Ronda Rousey’s $13 million net worth is very impressive for a female athlete. For comparison:
- Serena Williams has a net worth of $250 million.
- Maria Sharapova has a net worth of $195 million.
- Naomi Osaka has a net worth of $25 million.
- Simone Biles has a net worth of $16 million.
Among female MMA fighters, Rousey’s net worth is one of the highest:
- Amanda Nunes has a net worth of $4 million.
- Cris Cyborg has a net worth of $5 million.
- Holly Holm has a net worth of $10 million.
So while tennis and basketball stars are worth more, Rousey has done very well compared to most in combat sports. Her fame and leverage allowed her to earn more than most UFC fighters.
How Ronda Rousey Spends Her Money
As her net worth has grown, Ronda Rousey has invested her millions into some nice homes and luxuries:
- Previously owned a home in California that sold for over $2 million.
- Sold her Venice beach house for $1.35 million in 2016.
- Bought a riverside home in Broward County, Florida for $2.3 million.
- Often spotted driving high-end sports cars like a BMW and Jaguar.
- Owns a private jet which she used regularly while in the UFC.
- Likes to spend on fine jewelry and clothes from top designers.
- Known to enjoy vacations in exotic spots like Fiji and Turks & Caicos.
- Has donated over $300,000 to charity including animal rescue.
Even with some lavish purchases, Rousey has been smart about managing her millions. She has made real estate investments and created new income streams to maintain her wealth.
Ronda Rousey Quotes About Money
Ronda Rousey has shared various quotes and thoughts about money over the years:
- “I didn’t care about money. I just wanted to be the best in the world.”
- “I want to retire from fighting and just be able to live comfortably and securely without feeling like I need to prove myself.”
- “The more money you make, the more you have to spend to show off how much money you make.”
- “Money is freedom. It allows you to control your life without compromise.”
- “The UFC has given me a million and one reasons to keep fighting.”
- “My motivation has never been money. That’s the beauty of doing something for love.”
Ronda Rousey Net Worth FAQs
Here are some frequently asked questions about Ronda Rousey’s net worth and earnings:
How much is Ronda Rousey worth in 2023?
As of 2023, Ronda Rousey’s net worth is approximately $13 million. The bulk of her wealth comes from UFC fight earnings, WWE contracts, endorsements, and acting roles.
What was Ronda Rousey’s biggest UFC payday?
Rousey’s biggest UFC payout was $3 million which she earned for her fight against Amanda Nunes at UFC 207 in December 2016. This was her last MMA fight.
What is Ronda Rousey’s salary in WWE?
Details of WWE contracts are not disclosed, but reports suggested Rousey was earning over $1.5 million per year during her initial run with the company. She likely earns even more now.
How much did Ronda Rousey make for her first UFC fight?
Rousey earned $6,000 to show and another $6,000 as a win bonus for her very first UFC fight at UFC 157 in 2013. Her fight earnings increased drastically in just a couple of years.
How much did Ronda Rousey get paid for Expendables 3?
It is estimated Rousey earned around $1.5 million for her role in The Expendables 3 movie released in 2014.
What businesses does Ronda Rousey own?
Rousey owns a restaurant called Ronda’s Rowdy Eatery which opened in 2020. She also has an online clothing store selling her apparel line.
Ronda Rousey has accumulated an impressive net worth of $13 million through her dominant fighting career, move to WWE wrestling, endorsements, and business ventures.
She earned over $7 million just from UFC fight purses at her peak. WWE, movies, sponsorships, and smart investments added to the fortune.
While her MMA career crumbled at the end, Rousey found new life and income via pro wrestling and leveraged her star power. She remains one of the most famous female athletes in the world and one of the richest.
Her net worth is expected to continue rising thanks to her return to WWE and growing business income. Rousey is well-positioned to keep building her wealth in the years ahead.
Mustafa Al Mahmud is the founder and owner of Gizmo Concept, a leading technology news and review site. With over 10 years of experience in the tech industry, Mustafa started Gizmo Concept in 2017 to provide honest, in-depth analysis and insights on the latest gadgets, apps, and tech trends.
A self-proclaimed “tech geek,” Mustafa first developed a passion for technology as a computer science student at the Hi-Tech Institute of Engineering & Technology. After graduation, he worked at several top tech firms leading product development teams and honing his skills as both an engineer and innovator. However, he always dreamed of having his own platform to share his perspectives on the tech world.
With the launch of Gizmo Concept, Mustafa has built an engaged community of tech enthusiasts who look to the site for trusted, informed takes on everything from smartphones to smart homes. Under his leadership, Gizmo Concept has become a top destination for tech reviews, news, and expert commentary.
Outside of running Gizmo Concept, Mustafa is an avid traveler who enjoys experiencing new cultures and tech scenes worldwide. He also serves as a tech advisor and angel investor for several startups. Mustafa holds a B.S. in Computer Science from HIET.