How to Unblock YouTube at Work or School?
When you want to watch a video or movie, the first best app that comes to mind among all the other apps available is YouTube. It is the order of the day that everyone knows and uses more.
YouTube: YouTube is the largest video streaming app developed and managed by the web giant, Google. All videos, from the smallest to the largest, like trailers, movies, songs, games, tutorials, and many more are available on YouTube.
It is the source of education, entertainment, business, and everything in between for everyone, regardless of a newbie or an expert. It is a place of unlimited videos without barriers for anyone to watch and share.
Even today people make their videos related to food recipes, dance videos, educational videos, etc., and upload them to the YouTube platform. People can start their own YouTube channels too! YouTube not only allows people to comment, like, and subscribe to channels,
Different people use YouTube for different purposes, for example, marketers use YouTube to advertise their products, students use this broadcast site to learn something new, and the list goes on.YouTube is a long-time knowledge provider, imparting knowledge on the plethora of disciplines to each professional.
However, nowadays people use it only to watch entertainment videos and that is why if you try to access YouTube from your office, school, or university network, most of the time you will not be able to access it as a message will appear It says “this site is restricted and you are not allowed to open YouTube using this network.”
Why is YouTube blocked at school or work?
The possible reasons why YouTube is blocked in certain places like schools, colleges, offices, etc. are given below:
- YouTube distracts minds, leading to loss of concentration both at work and at school.
- When you watch YouTube videos, it consumes a lot of internet bandwidth. So when you run YouTube using the Internet from an office, university, or school where many people use the same network, the Internet speed is reduced.
The above two are the main reason the authorities blocked YouTube so that no one could access it and avoid the bandwidth suffering. But what if YouTube is blocked but you still want to access it? So now the question you should ask yourself is whether it is possible to unblock blocked YouTube videos or not. This very question could be disturbing your mind, find relief for your curiosity below!
The answer to the above question is here: Various methods are used to unblock the blocked YouTube. These methods are straightforward and not very time consuming, but it is also possible that some method will not work for you and you will have to try different methods one after another eventually. But surely, some methods will bring colours and you will be able to watch YouTube videos even if they are blocked.
Unblocking YouTube at school or work is not very difficult and you can achieve this by simulating or masking your IP address, that is, the address of your PC from which you are trying to access YouTube. Generally, there are three types of restrictions. These are:
- Local restrictions where YouTube is blocked directly from your PC.
- Local Area Network Restriction where YouTube is restricted by an organization such as a school, college, offices, etc. in their areas.
- Country specific restriction in which YouTube is restricted in a certain country.
In this article, you will see how to unblock YouTube if it is restricted on Local Area Network like schools, colleges, and offices.
But before rushing to unblock YouTube, you first need to make sure YouTube is actually blocked for you. To do this, follow the following points and from there you can go to the troubleshooting steps.
1. Check if YouTube is blocked
When you try to access YouTube in offices, colleges, or schools and you cannot open it, you first have to make sure that it is not blocked in your area or that there is an Internet connection problem. To do this, follow these steps:
- Enter the URL www.youtube.com in any of the web browsers.
- If it doesn’t open and you don’t get a response, then there is a problem with your internet connection.
- But if you get any response like “Can’t access this site” or “No access” or “Access denied”, then this is YouTube blocking issue and you need to unblock it to run.
2. Check if YouTube is up or not
If you cannot access YouTube, you need to confirm first whether YouTube is working or not, that is, the YouTube website may not work normally sometimes because some sites crash unexpectedly and at that time those sites cannot be accessed Web. To check whether YouTube is active or not, please follow the steps below:
- Open the command prompt by searching for it with a search bar and press the input button on the keyboard.
Note: You can also use Windows key + R and then type cmd and hit enter to open the command prompt.
2. Type the following command on the command line.
ping www.youtube.com -t
3. Press the enter button.
4. If you get results then it will show that YouTube is working fine. But if the network administrator is using some tools to block YouTube, you will get “Request timeout” as a result.
5. If you have timed out as a result of this, visit the isup.my website to make sure YouTube is really down or just for you.
6. Enter youtube.com in the empty box and click enter.
7.As soon as you hit Enter, you will get the result.
In the image above, you can see that YouTube works fine but the website is just down for you. This means YouTube is blocked for you and you have to go ahead and try the methods below to unblock it.
Methods to unblock YouTube in schools, colleges, and offices
The methods to unblock YouTube at work or school are listed below. Try them one by one and you will come to the method through which you can unblock the blocked YouTube website.
Method 1: Check the Windows host file
The host files are used by some administrators to block some websites. So if that’s the case, you can easily unblock blocked sites by checking the host files. To check the host file, follow the steps below:
- Navigate the following path in Windows File Explorer:
C: / windows / system32 / drivers / etc / hosts
2. Open the host files by right-clicking and selecting Open with.
3. From the list, select Notepad and click Ok.
4. The host file will open inside Notepad.
5. Check if there is something written related to youtube.com that is blocking it. If there is something written related to YouTube, be sure to delete it and save the file. This can solve your problem and can unblock YouTube.
Method 2: Check website blocker extensions
All modern web browsers like Chrome, Firefox, Opera, etc. They offer support for extensions that are used to block some websites. Schools, colleges, offices, etc. They use Chrome, Firefox as their default browsers, which provides the opportunity to block YouTube using site-blocking extensions. So, if YouTube is blocked, please check those extensions first and if you find any, remove them. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Open the web browser that you want to access YouTube. We’re using Google Chrome.
2. Click on the three dots icon available in the upper right corner.
3. Select the More tools option.
4. In More Tools, click Extensions.
5. You will see all the extensions present on the chrome.
6. Visit all the extensions and take a look at the details of each of them to check whether they are blocking YouTube or not. If they are blocking YouTube, then disable and remove that extension and YouTube will start working fine.
Method 3: Access YouTube using the IP address
Generally, when YouTube is blocked, administrators do so by blocking the website address www.youtube.com but sometimes they forget to block its IP address. Therefore, if you want to access YouTube when it is blocked, try to access it using its IP address instead of the URL.
Sometimes you may not be able to access it, but most of the time this little trick will work and you will be able to access YouTube using its IP address. To access YouTube using your IP address, please follow the steps below:
- Firstly access YouTube’s IP address by entering the following command on the command line. Open the command line by searching for it with the search bar and hitting the input button on your keyboard. Then type the following command and hit enter.
ping youtube.com -t
2. You will get the IP address of YouTube. For example, 2404: 6800: 4009: 80c :: 200e
3.Now type the IP address obtained directly into the URL field of the browser instead of entering the YouTube URL and hit enter.
The YouTube screen can now be opened and you can enjoy video streaming through YouTube.
Method 4: Unblock YouTube using a secure web proxy
Proxy sites are websites that allow easy access to blocked websites like YouTube. There are many proxy sites available that you can easily find online and use to unblock blocked YouTube. Some of them are:
proxfree.com/youtube-proxy.php, www.zalmos.com, unblockvideos.com, kproxy.com hide.me/en/proxy, proxysite.com, www.proxyone.net, www.privateinternetaccess.com
Choose any of the above proxy sites and follow the steps below to open the blocked YouTube using the selected web proxy:
Note: Be careful when choosing the proxy site, as some proxy sites can interfere with your data and steal your logins and passwords.
- Enter the proxy URL in your browser.
2. In the given search box, enter the YouTube Url: www.youtube.com.
3. Click the Go button.
4. The YouTube home page will open.
Method 5: Use VPN (Virtual Private Network) to access YouTube
Using a VPN or Virtual Private Network software to access YouTube is another solution in places where YouTube is restricted. When you use a VPN it hides the real IP address and connects you and YouTube virtually. Makes the VPN IP your real IP! There are many free VPN programs available in the market that you can use to unblock blocked YouTube. These are:
- Hot spot shield
- Air VPN
- Express VPN
So select any of the VPN proxy programs mentioned above that you think you can trust.
- Select the VPN software and download the necessary software.
2. After the download is complete, install the VPN software carefully following the instructions in its support documentation.
3. Once the VPN software is fully configured after installation, you start watching YouTube videos without any unnecessary interference.
Method 6: Use Google’s Public DNS or Open DNS
Many Internet service providers block certain websites to limit the use of a certain website by the user. So, if you think your Internet Service Provider is blocking YouTube, you can use Google’s public DNS (domain name server) to access YouTube from restricted areas. You need to change DNS in Windows 10 with Google Public DNS or Open DNS. To do this, follow the steps below:
- Press Windows key + X and then select Command Prompt (Admin).
2. Enter the following command on the command line:
3. Press the Enter button and the network connections screen will open.
4. Here you will see the Local Area Network or Ethernet. Right-click on Ethernet or Wi-Fi, depending on how you use it to connect to the Internet.
5. From the right-click context menu, select Properties.
6. Below a dialogue box will open.
7. Look for Internet Protocol version 4 (TCP / IPv4). Double click on it.
8. Choose the radio button corresponding to “Use the following DNS server addresses”.
9. Now replace the IP address with either of the following, Google Public DNS or Open DNS.
Google Public DNS: Preferred DNS server: 22.214.171.124 Alternate DNS server: 126.96.36.199 Open DNS: Preferred DNS server: 188.8.131.52 Alternate DNS server: 184.108.40.206
10. Once you are done, click the OK button.
11. Then click Apply and then OK.
After completing the steps above, try opening YouTube again. Now, enjoy watching YouTube videos in your office or school.
Method 7: Use TOR browser
If YouTube is blocked in your area and you want to avoid using any third-party proxy sites or extensions to access it, then the TOR web browser is your ideal choice. TOR itself used its proxy to allow users to access blocked websites like YouTube. To unblock YouTube using the TOR browser, follow the steps below:
- Visit the Tor website and click Download Tor Browser available in the upper right corner.
2. After the download is complete, you will need administrative permission to install it on your PC.
3. Then integrate the TOR browser with the Firefox browser.
4. To open YouTube, enter the YouTube URL in the address bar and your YouTube will open.
Method 8: Using the YouTube Downloader website
If you do not want to use any proxy site, extension, or any other browser, you can watch the videos you want by downloading them via YouTube video downloader. There are many websites available that allow you to download YouTube videos online. All you need is the link to the video you want to watch to download it. You can use any of the websites mentioned below to download YouTube videos.
To download YouTube videos using any of the websites mentioned above, please follow the steps below:
- Open any of the mentioned websites.
2. In the address bar, enter the link of the video you want to download.
3. Click the Continue button. A screen will appear.
4. Choose the video resolution in which you want to download the videos and click the Start button.
5. Click the download button again.
6. Your video will start to download.
Once the video is downloaded, you can watch it by visiting the download section of your PC.
So by following the above methods, you can easily unblock YouTube when it is blocked in offices, schools, or universities. But if you still have any questions about this tutorial, feel free to ask in the comment section below.
Mustafa Al Mahmud is the Founder and CEO of Gizmo Concept and Blogger Concept and also a professional Blogger, SEO Expert as well as an Entrepreneur. He loves to travel and enjoy the free moment with family members and friends.