Use Memes to Build EASY Backlinks & Traffic
Memes are stories, quotes, videos, and images that quickly spread through the internet. These are hilarious content that people enjoy, thus making them more likely to spread the word. The popularity of memes is such that brands are often using meme generator tools to create memes and engage with the audience.
The use of memes in the marketing strategies of brands requires proper planning. To get the best results, you need to strike a balance between its engaging and the promotional aspects. If strategized well, they can help build quick backlinks and drive traffic. In this article, we will tell you all that you need to know in this regard.
Creating the Right Meme
Today’s digital world is flooded with content, and you need to take a step-by-step approach if you want your memes to get viral.
- Step 1: The first step to creating a meme is to understand its niche. While some memes rely on satire, others use cute pet images to generate funny memes. It is a good idea to devote some time to building a buyer persona to understand the type of memes that are likely to be popular. Feel free to experiment with images, GIFs, and videos when you create your memes.
- Step 2: After you have identified your genre, do the background research by browsing through at least 100 popular memes. Such activity will give you a picture of the type of memes that get viral, and you can then come up with your variation. While doing your homework, you may also want to keep an eye on the viral YouTube videos. Such video often serves as content for popular memes, and being familiar with the video will give you a better perspective.
- Step 3: When you come across a funny and relevant idea that you can make into a meme, try to create several versions of the joke. After you have multiple versions, it becomes easier to make a pick on the most appropriate one.
- Step 4: After you select the most appealing version, the next stage is ensuring that your content does not offend any group or community. If you are refurbishing the image from some other meme, study the origin of the meme that you are using. Such proactive measures will save you the embarrassment of having to apologize to the audience for your insensitivity.
- Step 5: When you set out to create memes, it is easy to get swayed by your personal choice. That is why it is helpful for you to share your memes with your immediate friends and family before you make them public. That way, you will get feedback that will help you improvise on the video. However, we recommend that you should be receptive to feedback but trust your judgment to make the final call.
Getting Backlinks from Your Memes
After you have the meme ready, you need to work on boosting its popularity. Any marketing meme that you create aims at getting you backlinks and higher digital traffic. The below tips will help you in realizing the true potential of your memes.
Make Your Memes Shareable
When you create a meme, your focus should be on getting the maximum shares. Add a brief description that connects the memes to the brand. Try to come up with something catchy to improve the recall value of your meme.
You can use any video editing tool to add a customized landmark at the bottom of your meme. Ideally, the watermark should be in a colour that is in contrast with the background. Having a watermark will ensure that your brand name is retained when the meme gets viral. You can also introduce a distinct colourway to all the memes that you create. That way, people will start relating the image to your brand and that will boost your brand visibility.
Try Infographic Memes
Sometimes facts are so startling that they provide good fodder for memes. If you can find entertaining infographics that have your unique flavour, you can expect a boost in your backlinks. People prefer this type of content as there is minimal reading involved in infographic memes.
Infographic memes have an extended relevance, and you can refurbish them multiple times. While creating infographic memes, it is socially acceptable to quote charts and graphs created by others.
To have the best backlink results, cite the source written from somewhere at the bottom of the image. That way, you stay on the right side of the law as you have the source mentioned. At the same time, you do not have an alternate link in the description section that can interfere with your backlink generation.
Leverage Memes in Reddit
The social media campaign of most companies includes platforms like Facebook and Instagram. You can take things a notch further and leverage the power of Reddit in distributing memes. Once you create a meme, identify a relevant subsection (subreddits) and publish the meme.
When your meme gets to the main page of that subsection, you can expect heavy traffic and dofollow backlinks. The best part about using Reddit is that there are no restrictions on the number of memes that you can post. To increase the chances of success, you can place different memes under different subcategories.
Host Memes from Your Domain in Your Guest Blogs
As a marketing professional, you may be writing guest blogs to establish your industry expertise. Try to submit your article in HTML format so that you can link relevant memes or funny content to the guest post. When practised stringently, this will allow you to build image-based links to your brand website. This helps diversify your website’s link types and improves traffic.
Optimize Your Memes
If you are creating memes to boost the traffic, then you need to work on optimizing them for maximum views. Come up with different edited versions of the meme that have varied aspect ratios. For example, the aspect ratio of Instagram Stories is 9:16 while that of the Feed Posts is 1:1. When you have a meme saved in multiple aspect ratios, it becomes easier for you to promote your content across multiple platforms.
When you add a meme to your blog or other web posts, use the descriptive alt-text function to alter the image filename and description. Such proactive measures will help boost the meme’s visibility on Google image search.
Thus, you see that marketing memes can give a good ROI if you take a planned approach. With the tips discussed above, your memes can spearhead the marketing success story of your brand and give you good conversions and sales.
Mustafa Al Mahmud is the Founder and CEO of Gizmo Concept and also a professional Blogger, SEO Professional as well as Entrepreneur. He loves to travel and enjoy his free moment with family members and friends.