Fix YouTube Black Screen Issue
Fix YouTube black screen problem: While browsing the Internet, you suddenly decide to watch a YouTube video but as soon as you click on the video, nothing happens, that is, the video does not load and even if you wait a few minutes all you see is a black screen. Don’t worry as the “YouTube video black screen” problem is quite common and there are many solutions available for this problem.
The problem may be different for different users as no two computers are the same, some may hear video sounds while watching YouTube black screen while others may not hear anything. For a few users, they may be able to see a certain part of the video while the entire other area is black. Anyway, without wasting any time let’s see how to fix the YouTube black screen problem with the help of the below guide.
Fix YouTube black screen problem [SOLUTION]
Make sure to create a restore point in case something goes wrong.
Before going through the advanced troubleshooting steps, you may want to follow these basic steps that can help you troubleshoot the black screen problem:
- Refresh the page or restart your browser
- Make sure you can surf the internet and that you have an active internet connection
- Sign out of your YouTube account and sign in again
- Use the incognito window to play the YouTube video
- Try the problem with another browser
- Try the problem on another PC with the same network connection
- Uninstall Flash Player from your PC and try to install the latest version from its official website.
Note: in the case of Google Chrome, you must follow the steps of the browser you are using, such as Firefox, Opera, Safari, or Edge.
Method 1: Run the Network Troubleshooter
- Press Windows key + I to open Settings and then click Update & Security.
- From the menu on the left, select Troubleshoot.
- In Troubleshooting, click Internet Connections, and then click Run the troubleshooter.
4. Follow the on-screen instructions to run the troubleshooter.
5. Restart your PC to save the changes.
Method 2: Clear your browser’s cache and cookies
When the browsing data is not erased after a long time, this can also cause the YouTube black screen problem.
Clear browser data in Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome and press Ctrl + H to open the history.
- Then click Clear browsing data in the left panel.
- Make sure “beginning of time” is selected in Obliterate the following items.
- Also, check the following:
Browsing history Download history Cookies and other stud and plugin data Cached images and files Autocomplete form data Passwords
5. Now click the Clear browsing data button and wait for it to finish.
6. Close your browser and restart your PC to save the changes
Clear browser data in Microsoft Edge
- Open Microsoft Edge and click on the 3 dots in the upper right corner and choose Settings.
2. Scroll down until you find “Clear browsing data” and then click the Choose what you want to clear.
3. Select everything and click the Delete button.
4. Wait for the browser to erase all data and restart Edge. Clearing the browser cache seems to fix the YouTube black screen issue, but if this step hasn’t been helpful, then try the next one.
Method 3: Disable all extensions
Disable Firefox extensions
- Open Firefox and type “about addons” (without quotes) in the address bar and hit Enter.
- Disable all extensions by clicking Disable next to each extension.
3. Restart Firefox and then enable one extension at a time to find the culprit that is causing the YouTube black screen problem.
Note: After enabling any extension you need to restart Firefox.
4. Remove those particular extensions and restart your PC.
Disable extensions in chrome
- Open Google Chrome and type chrome://extensions in the address and hit Enter.
- Now first disable all the unwanted extensions and then delete them by clicking on the delete icon.
- Restart Chrome and see if you can fix YouTube black screen problem.
- If you are still having trouble with YouTube, then disable the entire extension.
Method 4: Update your graphics card drivers
- Press Windows key + R, then type devmgmt. msc and hit enter to open Device Manager.
2. Next, expand Display Adapters and right-click your graphics card, and select Enable.
3. Once you have done this again, right-click on your graphics card and select “Update driver”.
4. Select “Search automatically for updated driver software” and let the process finish.
5. If the previous steps helped solve the problem, then fine, if not, then continue.
6. Again, right-click on your graphics card and select “Update driver”, but this time on the next screen select “Browse my computer for driver software”.
7. Now select “Let me pick from a list of drivers available on my computer”.
8. Finally, select the last driver in the list and click Next.
9. Let the above process finish and restart your PC to save the changes.
Method 5: Update your browser
- To update Google Chrome, click Three dots in the upper right corner of Chrome, select Help, and then click About Google Chrome.
- Now make sure Google Chrome is up to date, if not, you will see an update button, click on it.
This will update Google Chrome to its latest version, which could help you fix YouTube black screen problem.
Update Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox and from the upper right corner click on three lines.
- In the menu, click Help> About Firefox.
- Firefox will automatically check for updates and download them if they are available.
- Restart your PC to save the changes.
Method 6: disable hardware acceleration
Disable hardware acceleration in Firefox
- Open Firefox and type “about preferences” (without quotes) in the address bar and hit Enter.
- Scroll down to Performance and then uncheck “Use recommended performance settings”
- Under Performance uncheck “Use hardware acceleration when available”.
- Close Firefox and restart your PC.
Disable hardware acceleration on chrome
- Open Google Chrome and click on the three dots in the upper right corner and select Settings.
- Now scroll down until you find Advanced (which is probably at the bottom) and click on it.
3. Now scroll down until you find the system settings and make sure to disable the “Use hardware acceleration when available” option.
4. Restart Chrome and this should help you fix Youtube black screen problem.
Disable hardware acceleration in Internet Explorer
- Press Windows key + R, then type inetcpl. cpl and press enter to open Internet Properties.
- Now switch to the Advanced tab and check the option “Use software rendering instead of GPU rendering”.
3. Click Apply and then OK, this would disable hardware acceleration.
4. Again relaunch your IE and see if you can fix YouTube black screen problem.
Method 7: Reset browser settings
Restart Google Chrome
- Open Google Chrome and click on the three dots in the upper right corner and on Settings.
- Now in the settings window, scroll down and click on Advanced at the bottom.
3. Go back down to the bottom and click on the “Restart” column.
4. This would open a pop-up window again asking if you want to Reset, so click Reset to continue.
Restart Mozilla Firefox
- Open Mozilla Firefox and click on the three lines in the upper right corner.
- Then click Help and choose Troubleshooting Information.
3. First, test Safe Mode by clicking Restart with plugins disabled.
4. See if the problem is solved, if not, click Refresh Firefox under “Tune Firefox”.
5. Restart your PC to save the changes and see if you can fix the YouTube black screen issue.
Method 8: Restart the network connection
- Right-click the Windows button and select “Command Prompt (Admin)”.
2. Now type the following command and hit Enter after each one:
ipconfig / release config / flushdnsipconfig / renew
3. Open the Admin Command Prompt again and type the following and hit enter after each one:
ipconfig /flushdnsnbtstat -rnetsh int ip resetnetsh Winsock reset netsh reset catalogue Winsock netsh int ipv4 reset reset.log
4. Restart to apply the changes.
That’s it, you have successfully fixed the YouTube black screen problem, but if you still have any questions about this tutorial, feel free to ask in the comment section.
Mustafa Al Mahmud is the Founder and CEO of Gizmo Concept and Blogger Concept and also a professional Blogger, SEO Expert as well as an Entrepreneur. He loves to travel and enjoy the free moment with family members and friends.