Fix DLL Files Missing From Windows 10
- Missing DLL files in Windows 10 are among the most common DLL-related issues out there.
- The article below will teach you what to do when a DLL goes missing and how to replace DLL files in Windows 10.
- It’s easy to replace missing DLL files in Windows 10, especially when you use DLL fixer software.
- However, the problem can also be solved by manually downloading the DLL as well.
Although a mean user isn’t so conversant in the work of DLL files, these files are essential for running almost every program in Windows 10, and everyone other versions of the OS.
And if a particular, important DLL file is missing from your computer, you almost certainly won’t be ready to run a desired program or app.
So, during this article, we’re getting to show you what to try to do if a particular DLL file is missing from your computer.
To better understand the matter, let’s first say what’s a DLL file. DLL is brief for Dynamic Link Library, and it’s a kind of file that contains a group of instructions employed by other programs to perform certain operations.
For example, programs use a DLL file to seek out the free space on a tough drive, locate and enter a specific directory, etc.
If a DLL file that is required by a particular program is missing from your computer, you won’t be ready to run that program, and you’ll receive a mistake message.
Let’s now see what to try to do if a DLL file is missing from your computer.
What can I do if a DLL file is missing from my Windows 10?
- Run a third-party DLL fixer
- Run SFC Scanner
- Run DISM
- Download a DLL File Manually
- Install DirectX
- Reinstall Visual C++ Redistributables
- Disable or Remove your antivirus
- Perform in-place upgrade
1. Run a third-party DLL fixer
There are plenty of third-party programs out there that promise to fix or replace missing or broken DLLs, and most of them stay true to their word.
Restoro may be a reliable third-party DLL fixer that uses a built-in automated system and a web library filled with functional DLLs to exchange and repair any files which may be corrupted or damaged on your PC.
All you would like to try to to to resolve your PC’s problems is to launch it, and easily follow the on-screen instructions to start the method, as everything else is roofed by the software’s automated processes.
This is how you’ll fix registry errors using Restoro:
- Download and install Restoro.
- Launch the software.
- Wait for it to scan your PC for any stability issues and possible malware.
- Press Start Repair.
- Restart your PC for all the changes to take effect.
After this process is completed your PC will be as good as new, and you will no longer have to deal with BSoD errors, slow response times, or other similar issues.
Disclaimer: This program needs to be upgraded from the free version to perform some specific actions.
2. Run SFC Scanner
- Right-click on the Start Menu button, and choose Command Prompt (Admin).
- Enter the following command and press Enter:
- Wait for the process to finish (it may take a while because it will scan your whole system for errors).
- Restart your computer.
- Check if your DLL is still missing.
- SFC Scanner is Windows’ own tool for solving various system-related problems.
This tool can also be used to detect crucial missing DLL files on your computer, so that’s what we’re going to try first, to solve the missing DLL problem.
3. Run DISM
- Run Administrative Command Prompt (as shown above).
- Enter the following command into the Command Prompt, and press Enter:
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
- Wait for the process to finish.
- Restart your computer.
This solution is similar to the first one because DISM (Deployment Image & Servicing Management) tool is used when SFC Scanner fails to repair system files, in our case find the necessary DLL file.
If SFC Scanner didn’t solve the problem, DISM should. But even if this tool proves to be useless for your DLL problem, you’ll have to fix it manually.
4. Download a DLL file manually
So, if there are no other thanks to solving the matter with a missing DLL, you’ll download it manually from the web. But remember that there are tons of websites online offering free DLL files, but just a couple of them are trustworthy.
I even have to say that if you’ll run a third-party program or a game thanks to a missing DLL file, attempt to reinstall that program, and you’ll maybe reinstall the DLL file, as well.
If you don’t feel comfortable downloading missing DLL files online, you’ll attempt to copy them from another working PC.
5. Install DirectX
If DLL files are missing from your PC, you would possibly be ready to fix the matter just by installing DirectX. consistent with users, they’re usually getting the error message about missing files when trying to start a particular computer game.
To fix the matter, you only got to install the specified version of DirectX and therefore the issue should be resolved. you’ll download the required files from Microsoft’s website, but sometimes there’s a DirectX setup file on your game’s disc so you’ll install it from there.
If you’re getting error messages while trying to run certain games, you ought to be ready to fix the matter by installing the required DirectX. If you would like to seek out out more about the newest release of DirectX, inspect this updated article.
6. Reinstall Visual C++ Redistributables
According to users, If DLL files are missing from your PC, you would possibly be ready to fix the matter just by reinstalling Visual C++ Redistributables.
Many applications require these files to figure, therefore you would like to download them from Microsoft’s website. After installing the required Redistributables the difficulty should be resolved.
Keep in mind that certain applications require an older version of Redistributables to figure, so you’ll need to download and install the later versions also.
Few users reported that they fixed this problem just by reinstalling the previously installed version of Redistributables. After doing that, the difficulty was resolved completely.
7. Disable or remove your antivirus
According to users, sometimes your antivirus software can interfere with Visual C++ Redistributables and stop you from installing the required DLL files.
To fix the difficulty, you would like to disable your antivirus and check if that solves the matter. If disabling the antivirus doesn’t help, you would possibly need to uninstall it.
The best thanks to doing this are to download a fanatical removal tool and use it to get rid of all files related to your antivirus.
If you’re a Norton user, we’ve got a fanatical guide for you to completely uninstall the antivirus. Also, there’s an identical one for McAfee users.
After removing the antivirus, attempt to install Visual C++ Redistributables. Many users reported problems with AVG, but this issue also can appear with other antivirus tools, so make certain to get rid of or disable it.
You don’t need to worry about malware after removing your antivirus. Windows Defender is as capable, and in some cases better, at protecting your PC against threats. Read this text to seek out out more.
8. Perform in-place upgrade
- Download Windows 10 ISO from Microsoft’s website.
- Be sure to download the latest version that matches your system architecture.
- Double click the ISO file to mount it.
- The new drive will now appear on This PC, open it and run setup.exe.
- Windows will now prepare the necessary files.
- You’ll be asked to download important updates before proceeding with the upgrade.
- Downloading updates isn’t mandatory, but it might make the upgrade process easier.
- Select the desired option and click Next.
- Windows will now download the necessary updates. This can take a while, so be patient.
- You should now see the Terms of Service screen.
- Click on Accept.
- Windows will now install the downloaded updates.
- Once you see the Ready to install screen, click on Change what to keep.
- Select Keep personal files and apps and click on Next.
- The upgrade process will now start.
- This process can take a while, so don’t interrupt it.
Missing DLL files can cause many problems on your PC, and users reported the following issues:
- Sysmenu DLL file missing
- Many users reported that the Sysmenu DLL file was missing on their PC.
- This can be a big problem, but you should be able to fix the issue using SFC or DISM scan.
- Msvcr100.dll file missing error
- This file is usually associated with Visual C++ Redistributables, and after installing the necessary components, the issue should be resolved.
- T8extpex.dll file is missing
- T8extpex.dll is another file that can become missing, however, you should be able to recover it using one of our solutions.
- Hal.dll files missing
- Another problematic file is Hal.dll. If this file is missing, you won’t be able to run your favorite applications.
- DLL file missing for iTunes, SQL Developer
- Many users reported that DLL files for their favorite applications are missing.
- This is a relatively common problem and you can fix it by reinstalling the problematic application.
- Kernel32.dll files missing
- Several users reported that Kernel32.dll is missing on their PC.
- This is a system file but you should be able to restore it by repairing your Windows installation.
If DLL files are missing from your PC, you would possibly be ready to fix the matter by performing an in-place upgrade. By doing so, you’ll reinstall Windows 10, but you’ll keep all of your files and applications.
Once your PC is upgraded, you’ll have a replacement installation of Windows 10, but all of your files and applications will remain intact. If an in-place upgrade can’t fix the matter, you would possibly need to perform a Windows 10 reset.
We already covered the way to perform a Windows 10 factory reset in one of our previous articles, so make certain to see it for detailed information.
That’s it for missing DLL files in Windows 10, I hope this text helped you to unravel the matter. If you’ve got any questions or suggestions, just write them down within the comments section below.
Mustafa Al Mahmud is the Founder of Gizmo Concept and also a professional Blogger, SEO Professional as well as Entrepreneur. He loves to travel and enjoy his free moment with family members and friends.