Download And install ffmpeg windows 10
Free Download FFMPEG Windows 10, How to Install and How to Use It – What is FFMPEG? FFmpeg is a limited program whose operations can only be done via the command line (Command) by typing it in “Command Prompt (CMD) / Windows PowerShell“.
Although it can only be operated with the command line, FFMPEG has many functions that will be very helpful in managing a video file. For example, playing, editing, converting video file sizes, changing aspect ratios, and changing formats (eg from .avi to .mp4 or from video to .mp3 ) can also be used to record audio and video directly.
Well, for those of you who want to know how to install FFMPEG into a computer, in this case on Windows 10, here’s the complete guide.
1. FFMPEG Download
Before doing the installation process, of course, we need the FFMPEG file. For that, please download the file at https://ffmpeg.zeranoe.com/builds/ and adjust it to the bit on your Windows 10. Remember not to make the wrong choice.
For 64bit-based OS, select “Architecture Windows-64bit” and “Architecture Windows-32bit” for 32bit OS. For Version, it is up to choose which one, and Linking select “Static“.
After everything is selected correctly, just press the Download button and wait until the process is complete.
2. How to Install FFMPEG
If you have finished downloading the FFMPEG file, the next step is to install it on your computer.
- Extract the FFMPEG file using a WinRAR or 7zip application.
- Rename the folder to your liking, but I recommend it to ” ffmpeg “.
- Copy the folder then paste it into the directory C: / ( Local Disk C:).
- After that, open the folder “ffmpeg> bin” and then copy the address. The result will be something like this: ” C:\ffmpeg\bin “.
- Next, right-click on “This PC or My Computer” and select “Advanced system settings“.
- On the “Advanced” tab select “Environment Variables > Path (in system variables) > Edit“.
- Then click “New” and paste the address of the ffmpeg folder that you copied earlier. In this case “C: \ ffmpeg \ bin“, then click “OK“.
- At this stage, the process of installing FFMPEG into the computer is complete.
To ensure that it is installed, then follow these steps.
- Right-click on the “Windows Logo” in the lower-left corner, then select “Windows PowerShell“.
- Type one of the following commands: ffmpeg -version (to see the ffmpeg version) or ffmpeg -h (to bring up the help menu) then press enter
- If the installation is successful, it will look like the image below.
3. Basic FFMPEG Commands
There are many commands that we can use to run the FFMPEG program, but for this occasion, I will only give “Basic Commands“.
But before starting the experiment, you should first create a folder with any name and the place can be on the desktop, Local Disk C:/, Local Disk D:/, or in a directory that is easy for you to remember. After that, copy one of the video files (any format is okay, for example, .avi / .mp4), then paste it into the folder you just created.
Now, to call Windows PowerShell in that folder, don’t select any file yet, but the press and hold on to the “SHIFT” button. on the keyboard, then right-click on the mouse in space. After that select “Open PowerShell windows here“. A Windows PowerShell window will automatically appear, then enter the command you want.
1. Playing Videos
ffplay "input.mp4" -x 1280 -y 720 (playing videos with a resolution of 1280 x 720 pixels).
2. Change the Video Format
ffmpeg -i video-ori.avi output.mp4 (to change the format from .avi to .mp4 or vice versa).
3. Change the Video Quality
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -q 23 output.mp4 (you can change the q value of 23 to 8, 23, 48. The lower the q value, the higher the video quality).
4. Converting Videos to MP3 Files
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -vn -ar 44100 -ac 2 -ab 320 -f mp3 output.mp3
- -vn = Remove the video in the output.
- -ar = Set the audio frequency in the output file. For example 22050, 44100, and 48000 MHz.
- -ac = Set the audio channel. 1 = Mono, 2 = Stereo.
- -ab = Increase audio bitrate.
- -f = Output file format, in this case, mp3 format.
5. Convert File Size
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 output.mp4 (to reduce video file size).
6. Changing the Resolution
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -filter:v scale=1280:720 -c:a copy output.mp4
“scale=1280:720” you can change to another resolution. For example, I have a video with a resolution of 1920 x 1080 pixels and I want to change it to 1280 x 720, so the scale will be 1280: 720.
7. Change the Aspect Ratio
ffmpeg -i input.mp4 -aspect 16:9 output.mp4
Suppose I have a video with an aspect ratio of 18: 9 and I want to change it to 16: 9, then the -aspect value will be 16: 9.
Mustafa Al Mahmud is the Founder and CEO of Gizmo Concept and also a professional Blogger, SEO Professional as well as Entrepreneur. He loves to travel and enjoy his free moment with family members and friends.