AI-Based Proctoring Systems
Knowledge is the most valuable tool we have. With it, a person can improve their surroundings or even create something new. Often, to improve employee productivity, company managers purchase online courses, but the employees’ level of knowledge and skills remains the same.
The problem is that without external control, some people only pretend to study. Testing partially solves the problem, but its mechanisms can be outwitted. Therefore, many organizers of corporate training connect a proctoring service. A live proctoring exam helps control the process and identify the true level of a student’s knowledge.
What Is Proctoring?
Proctoring is a system for monitoring a student’s actions during an exam. It’s required to make online exams fair and effective.
When a student takes an exam over the Internet, they have many. For example, they can search for answers on the web, ask friends via social media, consult with their parents in the next room, and so on. Then the exam loses its meaning and doesn’t fulfill its main task — to test real knowledge and assess real academic achievements.
The Principle of the Proctoring System’s Operation
Students install a special program on their computer. During the exam, it broadcasts images from a webcam and the computer screen. Depending on the type of proctoring, either a designated individual or artificial intelligence can observe the process.
In both cases, there’s an observation of the person’s actions — through the program, proctors can see what the student is doing on the computer. The system also records sounds, so any kind of cheating is impossible. All records are saved — they can be reviewed later if the student’s work arouses suspicion.
Where Can Proctoring Be Used?
Since the pandemic in 2020 has affected absolutely all spheres of human activity, many companies and institutions have switched to an online format. The effectiveness of the software means the system is in demand not only in the education sector but also in business. At the moment, proctoring can be useful in the following cases:
- Search and selection of new employees. Heads of departments and HR managers can conduct interviews and check the professional skills of candidates from all over the country (and even beyond) without wasting time and money.
- Online studying. It’s profitable for a company to send employees for vocational training. Online tuition with subsequent exams in the proctoring system can involve a professional aptitude test and aid in continual professional development. The employer can always be sure that their investments are justified since the participants will be monitored during the exam.
- Testing/certification of employees. The proctoring system is effectively used to determine the staff’s hard skills. This is necessary when it’s difficult to decide on salary allowances or promotions, for example.
The proctoring system makes cheating attempts during an online test useless for the test taker. It turns out that it’s easier to prepare for an exam than to cheat on it! This is a plus for the organizer: they arrange grades more fairly, spend less time (both their own and the examinees) on retakes and protect themselves from perjury based on the test’s results.
How Does Administering an Exam with a Proctoring System Work?
Now it’s possible to take an online exam or test with proctoring anywhere. The main thing is to have the right equipment — a good Internet connection, a fast computer, and a webcam. You’ll also have to install a special program on your PC to record from the screen and follow simple rules and procedures.
To take an exam with proctoring, a student needs to:
- Turn on the computer and register on the system 15-20 minutes before the exam starts.
- Pass the equipment test and check whether the computer loads the exam (some ports may be closed on office PCs).
- Turn on video transmission and allow the system to record from the computer screen.
- Pass identity verification by showing documents to the web camera (a passport or driver’s license will do).
- If necessary, show the desk and the room and, if everything is in order, the exam will be started.
During the exam, students are allowed to use handwritten notes from the course and call the organizer in case of technical problems (if the lights are turned off or the Internet connection is lost).
Does Proctoring Have Any Disadvantages?
Many students are dissatisfied with the proctoring system — some requirements are considered too harsh. It’s hard not to agree that any exam itself is scary and stressful, even if the student is fully prepared. Proctoring complicates this task, bringing even more anxiety to the user.
However, it’s worth noting that this system is gaining such popularity in the field of online education and business for a reason! It’s easier to take an exam with a controlling computer than with a real teacher. There’s absolutely no subjective attitude, the human factor in the form of a bad mood, the teacher’s well-being, or personal attitude to the student.
In the process, only knowledge is evaluated. Remember that it’s the knowledge that a modern person needs to build competent relationships with people and form a successful career in the future!
Mustafa Al Mahmud is the Founder and CEO of Gizmo Concept and also a professional Blogger, SEO Professional as well as Entrepreneur. He loves to travel and enjoy his free moment with family members and friends.